The first 1000 songs and sounds

This is such an odd blog, and not just because I know very little about music criticism.  But we have reached the milestone of 1000 reviews, so it's time to break this down statistically, bearing in mind that the numbers might not quite crunch, since sometimes I forget to tag.

There are 212 entries from cassettes, 269 from CDs, and 492 from vinyl or similar.  This is going to change dramatically as we go on.  (In fact, 1984 is the last year I have any records from, more about that later.)

There are 260 entries from the Beatles, 26 from John, 47 from Paul, four from George, and ten from Ringo.  Not surprisingly, I've used the "British" tag 486 times, almost half.

The decade breakdown so far is 50 from the '30s (thanks to Cab Calloway), ten from the '40s (ditto), twelve from the '50s, 411 from the '60s, 323 from the '70s, and 193 from roughly the first half of the '80s.  This will definitely change over time, when I get to Best Ofs and mix-tapes and burned CDs.

There are 324 songs that are just plain "rock," with various genre breakdowns, although that's somewhat arbitrary.  In the "sound" category, 72 entries are "comedy," 17 are "documentary," and 38 are "spoken."

Columbia contributed 148 entries, Capitol 146, but Apple 188.  That will definitely change.

The grades breakdown is 5 A-s, 39 B+s, 147 B's, 323 B-s, 336 C+s, but then 96 C's, 47 C-s, 6 D+s, and 1 D.  Since I'll generally reject an album if the first track gets C or lower, this mostly reflects albums I stuck with, and that's actually impressive for one of my blogs.  (As always, A's are rare, and A+s nonexistent on my blogs.)

The only real prediction I have for the next 1000, beyond the change in format, is that there will be less material from the time and more looking back.  This may include the mix-tapes, unless they're in the third batch of 1000.

Comments