"What a Difference a Day Makes"

I Can Stand a Little Rain by Esther Phillips - Pandora"What a Diff'rence a Day Makes"
Esther Phillips
Featured on Discomania 2
Jukebox International
Song originally released 1975
Disco
Vinyl (probably original release)
C+

K-TEL!  Gen-Xers and older understand.  But just to recap, you would order cassettes, LPs, and probably 8-tracks, and the price always ended in 99 cents, "as seen on TV!"  Here's the thing, this album came out in 1976, so it was a very early cash-in, before Saturday Night Fever and the real explosion of disco.  (Literally at Disco Demolition Night in '79.)  And this album-opener is just weird, because the 40-year-old Phillips was making her comeback on an oft-covered song, but with all these disco flourishes, including Donna-Summer-like moans.  (And, yes, Summer is on this album.)  Maybe this isn't as jaw-dropping as my Ethel Merman disco record (I swear to God as an agnostic that I am not making that up), but I am definitely curious to see where we're heading.

Comments