"I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Buggs version)

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Buggs version)
The Buggs
Featured on The Beetle Beet
Coronet
Released in February 1964
Rock & roll
Vinyl album (pretty sure it's the original copy)
C+

Again, a rather lengthy explanation.  First of all, I was born in 1968, so I grew up with the Beatles in the background but it wasn't until the 20th anniversary of the British Invasion that I made a conscientious effort to really listen to and acquire all their music.  I was assisted in this task by my new boyfriend (and eventual ex-husband), who also bought me books about the Beatles.  And then many years later, another eventual ex got me Beatles CDs.

So what is this fraudulent piece of crap doing here?  It is entirely possible that in my 16-year-old naivete, I snapped up this album without looking at it too closely.  (Ironically, 13ish-year-old Mark Mothersbaugh had also been taken in a score of years before me, with more justification.)  Anyhoo, it's "The Liverpool Sound," straight from (Wikipedia informs me) New Jersey!  And it's fraudulent, but it's not as crappy as you'd expect.  This is a decent cover of a still great song.  The rest of the album, well, we'll get to that.

Comments