Since I just powered through sixty Cab Calloway songs, I want to make some general observations on his style, influence, etc.
First of all, those songs range from C- to B+, averaging out to B-. In the roughly fifteen years covered, he was mostly a jazz singer and bandleader, but clearly he would cross over into other genres, not just blues and swing but rhythm & blues. His energy and grace (you need to see him dance if you haven't, but his singing is graceful, too), as well as his raunch and cynicism would influence countless other singers, notably but not solely in rock & roll. Decades later, he is almost always entertaining, and that alone is impressive.
When I ordered a record player for this project (more on that later), I also ordered this CD collection, even though there were a lot of other artists I could've bought instead. I felt, and still feel, it begins with Cab Calloway. But these aren't "final" thoughts because there will be echoes of him throughout this project.
First of all, those songs range from C- to B+, averaging out to B-. In the roughly fifteen years covered, he was mostly a jazz singer and bandleader, but clearly he would cross over into other genres, not just blues and swing but rhythm & blues. His energy and grace (you need to see him dance if you haven't, but his singing is graceful, too), as well as his raunch and cynicism would influence countless other singers, notably but not solely in rock & roll. Decades later, he is almost always entertaining, and that alone is impressive.
When I ordered a record player for this project (more on that later), I also ordered this CD collection, even though there were a lot of other artists I could've bought instead. I felt, and still feel, it begins with Cab Calloway. But these aren't "final" thoughts because there will be echoes of him throughout this project.
Comments
Post a Comment