"Automation and a Private in Washington's Army"

Automation And A Private In Washington's Army, a song by Bob ...
"Automation and a Private in Washington's Army"
Bob Newhart
Featured on The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back
Warner Bros.
Released in 1960
Comedy
Vinyl album (possibly original issuing but see below)
C+

So let's go back aways, no, not six decades, I'm not that old.  But I was in my early 20s, and it was the late 1980s or early '90s and there was The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart at my favorite local used book etc. store, so of course I bought it (for $3.99) because I was a hip little retro nerd chick.  And I got the album home and found that it was in fact Bob's second record, inside the sleeve of his first.  So instead of all the still famous routines, there was this batch.  And I don't think I've played the album more than a couple times, much less in fact that I've played the Wink Martindale single.

Anyway, this first selection is of course dated as hell (even the word "automation" feels dated), but I did laugh out loud at the last line, about "the guy painting in the other boat."


Comments